It is easy to get overwhelmed and stressed out when faced with times of uncertainty. Sometimes our thoughts start racing. We try to figure out what we can do, only to realize that there is so much out of our control. The good news is that there are some things we can do in times of uncertainty.
What To Do in Times of Uncertainty?
1. Breathe. The simple act of slowing down and noticing your breath helps you feel calmer. Your thoughts become centered on your connection to your body and away from the stressors you were thinking about. When you breathe deeply your brain sends a message to your body to calm down. Also, your heart rate and blood pressure decrease. To practice deep breathing, breathe in slowly through your nose. Then breathe out slowly through your nose and mouth.
It may also help to place a hand on your belly and notice it rise and fall with your breath. Belly breathing deepens your relaxed state whereas chest breathing is shallow and accompanies stress and anxiety. Continue belly breathing for several minutes. Setting a timer allows you to be fully present with your breath and it highly recommended.
2. Pray or meditate. Taking time to connect with something greater than yourself brings a sense of peace. Focus your mind on something else for a bit. It will do you good! Intentional silence of stillness helps bring this quality into your daily life.(Related Post: Meditation for Beginners)
3. Focus on what you can control. When you focus on what is within your sphere of influence, you are able to see that you are not helpless. There are things you can take charge of in every situation. For example, you can control your thoughts. Positivity goes a long way in lifting yourself up. You can also control your own actions. In addition, the way you treat others is always up to you. Do the best you can at this time. And always be kind to yourself!!
4. Channel your energy. We all have things that we would like to do someday. Well, make today that day! Tackle your to do list or choose something fun that you never seem to have time for. Whether it be rearranging a room, baking your favorite cookies, or working on writing the book you have always wanted to write, get started! When you put your energy into a project, you have less time to think about negative situations. Simply take one step at a time and enjoy where you are in the journey.
5. Relax. Yes, this is the exact opposite of number 4, like two sides of a coin. It is also important to take some time for yourself. So read that book you have been wanting to read or start watching the movies that have been piling up. Taking your mind off the situation helps you to calm down.
6. Take care of yourself. Eat healthy. You will find that your spirits are lifted when you make healthy choices. Make time to exercise, even if it is just for a few minutes. Getting moving helps you feel better mentally and physically.
7. Count your blessings. Make a mental list of things you are grateful for, write in a gratitude journal, or tell someone else. Gratitude truly does help brighten your day. (Related Post: Be Happier This Month: A 30 Day Gratitude Challenge)
It may seem challenging when you’re in the midst of times of uncertainty. Just remember, this too shall pass. You can do this! Stay safe!
What do you do that helps you in times of uncertainty?
Did you find this post useful?
If you found this article useful, please join our Facebook group. Our Facebook group is a community where members can post, comment and share happiness and inspirational materials so that everyone can experience their best life, now.